November 4, 2021 | Nutrition | 0 comments | Author: Ashley Dance
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and that means we’re going to be eating-eating a lot. So lets get mindful of our nutrition for just one week before the big feed. This challenge is going to focus on getting copious amounts of nutrients into our bodies. This is maybe just changing your habits for a week. All these things you already know, it’s just a matter of doing it. For one week (7 days) be annoyingly on top of your nutrition. We’re hoping to give your immune system a little boost with all these good things going in. The rules are simple enough:
1. Drink water with lemon upon waking
2. Drink a fresh juice AND a smoothie before eating anything else. This is where it could get confusing, I suppose. You are allowed to eat food; you just have to make sure you get these highly nutritious concoctions in you first. You may be hungry again like normal at lunchtime, or you might not be. If you are hungry, eat, if not, wait.
3. Have herbal tea every day. Herbs are very healing and contain all sorts of beneficial compounds we take for granted. They gently restore balance to the body and assist organs in their processes. We know to drink tea when we are sick, but let’s just NOT get sick, right? No particular kind, pick one you like.
4. The food that you eat should be organic if possible; meat should be pastured and no refined sugar or flour and no canola, vegetable or soybean oils. So you don’t get to eat Pizza Hut after your smoothie, sorry. Hopefully your body will begin to crave these nutrients and you won’t want junk as much.
5. This challenge may take a bit of planning depending on your schedule, especially with regard to having some fresh juice every day. Juice shops can make things easier and some of them like Juice Nashville deliver juice to your home. Those juices are good for up to 3 days. If you don’t own a juicer, you might want to look into a citrus juicer. This Cuisinart one is under $30 on Amazon. You could have fresh orange or grapefruit juice or a combination each morning. Juicing and making smoothies at home will keep your cost down. My plan is to drink my juice in my car on the way to the gym, then drink the smoothie once I’m there and have a break. If you choose to buy everything there are so many great choices for juice around town, explore a few!
6. Smoothies should be mostly fruit, greens are cool and superfoods (like chia seeds or moringa leaf) are fun! Get creative and tell us what smoothies you are enjoying each day. If you use milk, we would recommend raw, grass-fed milk from a trusted farmer source. Other options would be coconut milk, almond milk, hemp milk, goat milk, kefir or water.
Notice how many more fruits and vegetables you are consuming during this week. Do you feel any different? More energy maybe? Do you feel deprived? Or is it not so bad eating some real food? That’s what I thought. Take care of your body. It will thank you with good health!